Celebrating over 100 years of quality products and service!
Pacific Grinding Wheel Company was established in Everett, Washington
(U.S.A.) in 1898 as Pacific Emery Wheel Company by Mr. Anton Foss, Mr.
Martin Johnson and Mr. P. Lee. Mr. Foss, who had the major interest,
came from Norway.
Seeing an opportunity, he established the business to supply grinding
wheels to the lumbering industry for sharpening saws, planer knives,
etc. The processes used for bonding the grinding wheels were the
"Shellac" and "Silicate" processes.
Inside the original plant in 1898
| In 1904 Mr. G. H. Kravik purchased the interests of Mr. Foss and
subsequently the interests of the other partners. The name was changed
to Pacific Corundum Wheel Works and in 1925 the Company incorporated
under this name.
| Business was very slow during the 1920's depression. In 1930 the
Company began using a synthetic resin bond in the manufacture of
grinding wheels and high speed snagging wheels for the foundry
industry. Business began to improve.
In 1937 the Company began manufacturing grinding wheels using a
vitrified or ceramic bonding system. This ensured the availability of a
fuller line of grinding products. The sales territories now covered
were the states of Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, and Montana,
and British Columbia in Canada.
During the war years, 1941-1945, business increased rapidly. The
business was disincorporated in 1943 to a partnership. The business
progressed steadily and, in 1955, reincorporated as Pacific Grinding
Wheel Manufacturing Company. A sales corporation was also formed at
this time called Pacific Grinding Wheel Company, Inc (PGW). The present
company was formed on January 1, 1970.
expansions, this was
- our plant in the
| A company called Yankee-Pacific Trading Company, Inc. acquired the
business in 1986 and operated PGW as a wholly-owned operating
subsidiary. In 1996 the owners of Radiac Abrasives, Inc.
acquired the business. Since the transfer, they have invested heavily
in capital projects and management in order to make Pacific Grinding
Wheel Co., Inc. once again the largest full line manufacturer of
quality bonded abrasives on the West Coast of the U.S.A.
The new plant was built in Marysville in 1969, when all operations were
moved from Everett, Washington. The Company now sells its products
throughout the U.S. and Canada and also does a certain amount of export
Pacific Grinding Wheel Co. today